If you want to know how To Use an All-in-One PC As Monitor or how to Use it as a monitor for your main desktop or laptop computer, you should probably check out this post.
The task itself is expensive and time consuming. Luckily there is a better way. You can use your all-in-one PC as a monitor. So, in this blog I will guide you all about this.
How to Use an All-in-one PC as a Monitor?
Yes, You can use the HDMI port on your AIO to create a second monitor for another computer. Just plug one end of an HDMI cable into the in port on your AIO, and connect it to the out port of another computer. When connected, your primary device will treat this as its secondary monitor.
If you don’t have an HDMI port on your laptop or desktop computer, connect the DVI cable instead. You may need to purchase an adapter for this step if you don’t already have one.
This can be useful if you want to connect multiple monitors to your laptop or desktop PC in order to boost productivity levels by allowing more windows to open at once.
Understanding All-in-One PCs and Their Features
Before stepping forward I would like to make your concept clear by mentioning some details. All-in-ones are desktop computers that combine a monitor and a computer in one compact unit.
They’re ideal for homes and small businesses, as they save space and make it easy to move your computer around the room.
All-in-ones have many advantages over traditional desktops and laptops.
For example, they’re great for family use because everyone can see what’s on the screen at once, so you can collaborate while watching movies or playing games.
They’re also perfect if you don’t have much desk space because they take up less room than separate monitors and computers would.
I found that there are many different types of all-in-ones, including “touchscreen” models that allow you to interact with the screen using your fingers instead of a mouse or keyboard.
Touchscreens are particularly useful if you need to do things like write emails or use spreadsheets on your computer.
However, some users find them annoying because they tend to get fingerprints on them easily.
Now let’s learn how to use an All-in-one PC as a monitor. I have mentioned a step-by-step guide so; follow me
1. Fulfilling Requirements
Before starting first of all let’s see what are the main requirements in carrying out this process. So, let’s start
- Checking Compatibility: Can Your AIO PC Function as a Monitor?
Before you can use an all-in-one PC as a monitor, you’ll need to first check the compatibility of your hardware.
Most AIO PCs have HDMI ports and can be used as a monitor for your laptop or desktop.
If you’re not sure how your AIO PC functions as a monitor, check the specifications or manual that came with it.
If you’d like to use your AIO PC as a monitor, here are some steps:
- First, connect the HDMI cable from your laptop or desktop to the back of the AIO PC.
- Then connect another HDMI cable from the back of your AIO PC to your TV.
- You’ll also need to set up audio by connecting headphones or speakers (if they’re compatible with both devices).
- You should now be able to use your AIO PC as both a screen and speakers for any device!
- Necessary Cables and Connections: What You’ll Need
In order to use your all-in-one PC as a monitor, you will need to connect it to another device. This can be done with the following cables:
- VGA cable (for connecting to computers)
- HDMI cable (for connecting to TVs)
2. Setting Up the Connection
Now as you have fulfilled the requirements; so, let’s set up the connection.
- Identifying Video Input Ports on Your AIO PC
The video input ports on AIO PCs are typically located at the side or back of the monitor. The image shows a laptop with a single HDMI port, but most AIO PCs will have multiple ports.
You can use this guide to identify the type of video input ports available on your All-in-One PC:
- HDMI: Connects your computer to an external display, like a monitor or TV.
- DisplayPort: Connects your computer to another device with DisplayPort, such as a monitor or TV.
- VGA: Connects your computer to another device with VGA, such as a monitor or TV.
- Connecting Source Device to AIO PC: HDMI, DisplayPort, etc.
If you’re connecting a source device to your All-in-One PC, you have several options.
You can connect the source device to your All-in-One PC via an HDMI cable, DisplayPort cable, or USB Type-C cable.
If you’re connecting a gaming console such as PlayStation 4 or Xbox One to your All-in-One PC, then you’ll need an HDMI cable to do so.
If you’re connecting a laptop or desktop computer to your All-in-One PC, then you’ll need a DisplayPort cable for it to work properly.
Now you must be wondering about the method; so, here I have listed a complete method to connect source device:
- Run the source device and connect it to the AIO PC using HDMI or DisplayPort.
- Turn on both devices when they are connected.
- Choose the proper input source on your TV.
- Select HDMI or DisplayPort as the input source on the TV and press enter to display the video output from your source device on your TV screen
- Powering On Both Devices: Turning on AIO PC and Source Device
To turn on both your All-in-One PC and source device, you need to follow these steps:
- Ensure that both devices are connected to the same power outlet, then press the power button on the AIO PC.
- Wait for the BIOS screen to display, then press Enter on your keyboard.
- Select Boot from USB drive or CD-ROM option, then press Enter again.
- Choose your source device from the list of available drives, then click Next to proceed with booting from your chosen drive.
- When prompted for a password by Windows Setup wizard, enter your password and click Next again to continue installing Windows on your All-in-One PC.
3. Switching to Monitor Mode
You can switch your All-in-One PC to monitor mode by following these steps:
- Press the Windows key and R together to open the Run command.
- Type hdmi_cec_set_adapter.
- Hit Enter.
- Select Yes from the pop-up window.
- This will restart your monitor as a TV/monitor in monitor mode.
4. Adjusting Display Settings
In order to take full advantage of the All-in-One PC’s display, you will want to adjust your display settings. To do this, I recommend following these steps:
- Click on the Start button at the bottom left of your screen.
- Click on the Control Panel in the pop-up menu.
- Click on Adjust Screen Resolution from the list of options available under Appearance and Personalization.
- Choose the resolution that best suits your needs from the drop down menu next to “Resolution.”
This will vary depending on whether or not you have multiple monitors connected to your computer and what type of monitor each one is (LCD, LED, etc.).
The higher the resolution, the sharper images will appear on screen and allow for more items to be displayed simultaneously without scrolling around too much or zooming in/out as much.
5. Audio Configuration
Now it’s time to do some audio changes.
- Routing Audio: Choosing Between AIO PC and Source Device
If you’re setting up a home theater, you have to decide whether to route the audio from your AIO PC or from the source device.
If you want to use your monitor as a TV, then you have to connect it directly to your cable box or other source device.
You can connect the AIO PC and source device using HDMI or DisplayPort cables. If you don’t have an HDMI port on either device, you can use an HDMI adapter.
If you want to play music through your AIO PC speakers, then connect them with a 3.5mm audio cable (included with AIO PC) and plug in into one of the front ports on the back of the monitor.
- Ensuring Sound Output: Selecting the Right Audio Source
Once you’ve connected your monitor to your computer, you can ensure that it’s working properly by ensuring that sound output is working.
Your PC will have a variety of audio sources you can use to listen to music or watch videos, such as HDMI, USB, and more.
In order to select the right audio source for your monitor, follow these steps:
- Open the Control Panel on your computer (Windows 7) or System Preferences (OS X).
- Click on Sound in Windows 7 or Playback in OS X.
- Select the device you want to use for sound output from the list provided by clicking the dropdown menu under “Default Device.”
6. Keyboard and Mouse Setup
Now it is time to connect your keyboard and mouse.
Connect your keyboard by plugging in the USB cable that came with it into one of the USB ports on your all-in-one PC.
If you don’t have a wireless keyboard, connect a USB wireless adapter to your computer if needed.
Connect your mouse by plugging in the USB cable that came with it into one of the USB ports on your all-in-one PC.
If you don’t have a wireless mouse, connect a USB wireless adapter to your computer if needed.
7. Managing Multiple Inputs
If you want to use your computer as a monitor, you’ll need to set up multiple inputs for it. You can do this by using the buttons on the front of your monitor.
- First, press and release the “Input” button. The button should light up.
- Then, press and hold down “Input” until another menu appears on-screen.
- Use your arrow keys to navigate through the menu until you find your desired input.
- Then press OK or Enter to select it.
- Repeat this process if you want to add more inputs to your list.
Troubleshooting and Tips
There are some problems which you can face in this whole process; don’t worry as I am here with these common problems and their solutions; so, just have a look at the table below!
|1||No Display||Ensure the all-in-one PC is powered on.Check the input source on the monitor.Verify the video cable is securely connected.Try a different video cable or port if available.Restart both the source PC and the all-in-one PC.Update graphics drivers on the source PC.|
|2||Low Resolution||Adjust display settings on the source PC.Update graphics drivers on the source PC.|
|3||Flickering Screen||Check for electrical interference in the area.Update graphics drivers on the source PC.Reduce the screen refresh rate if necessary.|
|4||No Audio||Ensure the audio cable is properly connected.Check audio settings on the source PC.Verify that the all-in-one PC has speakers and they are working.|
|5||Touchscreen Issues||Clean the touchscreen to remove any debris.Update touchscreen drivers on the all-in-one PC.Check for physical damage to the touch screen.|
|6||Overheating||Ensure proper ventilation for the all-in-one PC.Avoid using the all-in-one PC for extended periods.Clean dust from the vents and fans regularly.|
|7||Mouse/Keyboard Lag||Check for interference with wireless peripherals.Update drivers for the mouse and keyboard.Use a wired mouse/keyboard for lower latency.|
In this blog I have discussed: How To Use All-in-One PC As Monitor?
All the above-mentioned tips will surely help you to use an all-in-one PC as a monitor without any error message.
Whether it is touch screen or windows 8, All-in-one PC is one of the best choices with proper configuration to an individual for daily routine usage.
How to Use Dell All-in-one PC as a Monitor?
To use your Dell All-in-One PC as a monitor, first plug in the display cable into the back of your computer. Then plug the other end into an available port on your monitor or television.
How to Use an HP All-in-one PC as a Monitor?
Using the DisplayPort port on your HP All-in-One PC and connecting it to a second monitor via DisplayPort cable.
How to Use Lenovo All-in-one PC as a Monitor?
The HDMI-in port lets you connect an external device and use the A740/A540 as your display. As soon as you plug in a cable, the input signal will be switched automatically.